Monday, 22 August 2016

Shopping in New York

This was our second two-week stay in New York. The recommendations & tips are basically the same as in my old posts here & here but we did a lot more shopping this time so I'll dedicate this post to all the shopping.


Jersey Gardens Outlet

Jersey Gardens Outlet is a fairly cheap 30minute bus ride from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The place is really big, especially because there's a few department store outlets and Century 21 (which is an outlet itself) so you'll need to dedicate an entire day to being there. We went back just before our trip ended and bought a few more things.
It can be really packed, but if you go early enough you avoid the huge crowds. The first time around I didn't find too many things but the husband bought half the outlet. The only thing that was mine in all of those bags was a $12 pair of shorts from H&M. The only downside to the outlet was the food court, it didn't have many places to pick from.


We laughed at people who came with empty suitcases until we had to carry all this around.

The VS outlet line had a 1.5 hour wait, bras and undies were under $10 and people were going nuts. I left within seconds of walking in. Luckily the second trip the store was quieter and I managed to buy a few $5 PJ tops within 10 minutes.


Neiman Marcus was way out of my price range and most people's it seems, as it was by far the most empty store in there. Saks had a lot of big brands that were discounted pretty heavily (although still pricey). The shoe section is packed with designer stuff but the sizing is really limited, so if you have a common foot size you'll most likely miss out. These Jimmy Choos caught my eye, they were down to $800, original price tag was around $2000.


The Cosmetics Company Store looked very empty and small but they had a lot of stock. They have a lot of MAC, Bobbi Brown, Estee Lauder, Clinique etc. I managed to get a Bobbi Brown concealer for $17 (I pay $42 here) and a set of MAC Brushes from last years Christmas collection for $30. MAC Lipsticks were $10, Bobbi Brown foundations around $20. I'll do a review on all these guys in the next post!
Only the brushes & the Bobbi Brown concealer were from the outlets.

Nordstrom Rack
I loved this place! It's not very big but they have a lot of stuff I like and it's very heavily discounted.
Brands: Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Free People, Tom Ford, DKNY, Adidas, DVF, Rachel Zoe, Seafolly, J.Crew. Huge collection of Nike stuff for women (which was so hard to find in NY) and most of it was over 60% off.

Accessories: Kate Spade, Michael Kors and DKNY watches for under $140. House of Harlow stuff for under $20

Beauty: Lorac Sets, Kiehls, Urban Decay, Smashbox, Perfumes all over 50% off.
The store is right near Union Square so it's very easy to get to. And if you have no plans to go to New York, Nordstrom Rack ships to Australia but not all the brands are online.


Department Stores
I love US department stores, in particular the beauty section at Macy's which is HUGE. I did all my makeup shopping at Sephora & MAC but I did buy a Jo Malone perfume there. It was fun just walking around makeup heaven with almost every brand having their own section.



We initially went to Saks Fifth Avenue just to look at YSL bags. I wanted one for my birthday in April and wanted to see the few I liked in person. One thing led to another and I went home with a bag. I decided on this small Monogramme quilted shoulder bag. I mostly use cross body bags and I love that the chain strap is detachable because it makes a very pretty clutch too. A lightly extravagant souvenir but for some reason you don't have the need to justify your purchases when on holidays.




No comments:

Post a Comment